Hotel Zugertor is located only 5 minutes from the train station of Zug towards Baar and welcomes its guests since 1897.
The family von Rickenbach rented what was then the "Güterbahnhof restaurant", which was in a very poor condition at the time.
The family had the opportunity to buy the building along with the six 3-room apartments in the house. They also added central heating and a boiler for hot water.
In the 1960s, a bowling alley and a bar were built, as well as 10 hotel rooms with shared showers, which were made up of two apartments.
Change of name: the former Güterbahnhof becomes the Hotel Zugertor.
Takeover by Heinz von Rickenbach (2nd generation) and altering of the bar into a traditional "WaliserSpycher" among with a renovation of the restaurant.
The striking building on Baarerstrasse was expanded with an extension and an additional storey and renovated down to the foundations. A 3-star hotel with 27 rooms was ready to welcome its guests.
Alterations, Conversions and an extension in 2000 have given the family business a traditional but also modern ambience. 8 rooms and an underground car park were added
With further conversion and renovation work, the entire house was brought up to the latest standard. All rooms have been fitted with air conditioning, triple glazed windows and underfloor heating has been installed in some areas. Due to an extension, various rooms could be optimized and enlarged, and the number of rooms increased to 36. A modern atmosphere was created with a new color and light concept and real wood parquet flooring in the rooms.
This is the year Oliver von Rickenbach (3rd generation) took over the business from his parents, who still work in the hotel.